After giving feedback to a commercial venue of one of our members in March, we are going to be looking at a big open source project happening right here on the island and hopefully be able to provide lots of valuable feedback and maybe even some help.
- Vancouver Island Technology Park, Conference Center Room – 4464 Markham Street, Victoria, BC
- Thursday, 26th April 2012, 18:00-20:00
- openStudent – an open source Student Information System Made in BC presented by Warren White
In 2014, the British Columbia’s central Student Information System (BCeSIS) will be replaced with another system which has yet to be determined. BCeSIS has not performed well, and has cost taxpayers over $100 million to date. In addition, this commercial application does not fully meet our requirements and does not have the flexibility to change with the times.
The openStudent projects vision is to develop a custom Student Information System (SIS) using open source technologies and agile methodologies. This will produce an application that is robust, flexible, affordable, reactive to current and future needs, and specific to British Columbia.
Saanich School District 63 has initiated this project. The system will be governed and owned by stakeholders around the province and will be developed collaboratively and maintained on a not-for-profit basis.
Current technologies include Java Server Faces, Spring, Tomcat, and PostgreSQL database.
The plan is to develop an elementary school system first, then develop middle/secondary school system.
Warren is one of the core developers and will discuss the database design, security and anything else we are interested in and looks forward to lots of feedback from VIJUG members.
- Warren White is a 2008 graduate from the University of Victoria, Bachelor of Software Engineering (BSeng) program. Since 2009 has been working with Saanich School District 63 at South Island Distance Education School (SIDES).
- All VIJUG members and anybody else interested are welcome to attend. If you intend to come please send an email or just drop by.
We hope to meet you there.